November 15, 2006

Of chocolate sauce and tablecloths.




I was tidying up after a family dinner party the other night and noticed that Jipper's spot at the table had a bouquet of chocolate stains on the tablecloth.

I sighed. Really, the tablecloth would not ever be "right" again.

Then I smiled.

The chocolate bouquet was the evidence of a child, trying to be careful, but having a wonderful time.



I still remember the "oohs" and "ahhs" rising up like a Hallelujah Chorus around the table as we topped off a lovely celebration with cheesecake with chocolate sauce.

Once when I was growing up, I was part of a relatively unhappy dinner event. It was Christmas and for many years the hostess had used a particular tablecloth for this dinner. The tablecloth had poinsettas on it.

This particular year, for some reason, the poinsetta tablecloth could not be found. Legions were enlisted in searching for it, but the time to set the table came and there was no poinsetta tablecloth.

For some reason, to the hostess, this was as traumatic as the end of the world. And, therefore, our dinner got off to a terrible start and ended with a thud.

I thought of that when I realized I'd probably not be able to use my tablecloth again, at least not with company. I'd miss it. Like the poinsetta tablecloth, my tablecloth had become a staple in our family traditions.

Then again, I told myself, it is just a tablecloth. And even tablecloths can cause good memories or bad.




*** Photo from fitnessandfreebies.com. Did you know that if you don't have ramekins, you can use a muffin pan to make lava cakes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home