December 23, 2006

Christmas Brussel Sprouts


For many years, decades really, the fam all marveled at how Kean would eat anything . . . except brussel sprouts.

Something about his mother, who was British, forcing them upon him in his youth as a "should" thing or part of his cultural heritage.

Whatever, the boy would not eat them and either would the man.

One day Finkie and I were at the grocer's and a stalk of sprouts caught his eye. "Is this how brussel sprouts grow?" he inquired. "Why, yes," I replied.

Then his face went into the think mode. "You know, Mom," he mused, "because Dad doesn't like brussel sprouts, the rest of us have never even tried them. Maybe we should try them."

I looked at the large, formidable stalk of miniature cabbages.

"Alright," I nodded. "Let's do it."

We got home and I fired up the computer. I googled "brussel sprouts for people who hate brussel sprouts." Sure enough a recipe came up that was called, "Brussel Sprouts for People Who Hate Brussel Sprouts." I promptly printed it out and, a few days later, took the plunge.

Now this is not the simplest or fastest recipe in the world. In fact, the first time I made it, I thought this is waaaaay overboard for a bunch of miniature cabbages. But let me tell you this: every single bit of effort and time was worth it! So worth it, we renamed the recipe "Christmas Brussel Sprouts" and determined to add them to our holiday menu every year.

They are truly yummy. The recipe says they can be made four hours ahead; I found them delicious the next day as well. In fact, the next day I caught Kean popping a few of the cold leftovers into his mouth like bonbons. Now that's an endorsement.

Here we go:



Christmas Brussel Sprouts

3 T butter
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 + 1/2 pound brussel sprouts, halved
1 cup chicken broth
2 shalots, minced
1 T chopped fresh marjoram
1/3 cup whipping cream





Melt 1 T butter in heavy, large skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts, stir until golden (at least 3 minutes).

Transfer the nuts to a small bowl.

Melt 1 T butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Add sprouts; stir 1 minute. Add chicken broth; cover and simmer until sprouts are almost tender (about 7 minutes).

Uncover sprouts and simmer until broth evaporates (about 5 minutes).

Using a wooden spoon, push sprouts to side of skillet. Melt 1 T butter in center. Add shalots and saute until tender (about 2 minutes). Stir in marjaram, pine nuts, then the cream.

Simmer until sprouts are coated with cream, stirring frequently (about 4 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.

*** Photo Gary Winters hosted at pbase.com [here].

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home